How to Remove Odor After a Flood
If you’ve suffered water damage after sewage loss or a flood in Oklahoma City, OK, you may have noticed that your home has a lingering odor even after you’ve cleaned it. When this occurs, it might be secondary damage caused by the water. Mold grows quickly in moist environments, so it is possible that this is what is creating the odor in your house. Here are a few things you can try to remove it.
1. Wash Affected Items
Soft and porous materials, such as stuffed toys, mattresses and clothing absorb water easily, along with the contaminants that it contains. If there were mold spores in the water, these items may now be the home of mold growth. If there are affected items that you have not washed, you should do this immediately. Some belongings, such as furniture, that cannot be so easily cleaned might need to be replaced instead.
2. Clean the Walls and Floors
While they may not hold water as easily as softer materials, hard surfaces are not entirely safe from mold growth. If these areas remained wet for an extended period of time, a mold colony may have formed. Scrub down any walls, floors and surfaces that were affected by the flood.
3. Hire a Professional
If you have done everything that you can and are still unable to remove the unpleasant smell from your home, then it may be time to hire a clean up and restoration service. Not only can they locate mold growth in areas that you might have missed, but they also have the tools and experience to remove it. They can also use professional equipment to eliminate any odors in the building.
Floodwater is highly contaminated and can carry sewage, bacteria and other contaminants like mold. If your home has been cleaned but you are still experiencing the bad smell, hiring a professional may be the best choice for you.