Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
At SERVPRO of North Oklahoma City our aim is to be a responsive and reliable partner in the local fire damage and restoration community.
We know that there are a lot of elements on the road to recovery after a fire damage event. Even knowing where to begin and how to respond to fire damage seems like an evasive target.
For this reason our Oklahoma City area SERVPRO is committed to being a helpful partner to residents and businesses, tackling both residential and commercial property projects.
Our team regularly address fire damage and we have the expertise and tools to help address even the most serious fire damage losses.
Our team has put together some helpful tips on fire damage and recovery. See below and follow-up with our team with any questions.
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (405) 216-5787
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.